Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Battery went dead again in my 2001 Jeep Cherokee. I use a small inverter to charge my Palm Pre and forgot to unplug the unit before heading in to work. Having stayed late at work I lost access to my boss's car. Besides, I'm getting tired of asking for a jump any time the interior lights are left on by accident. So, I hiked across Telegraph Road and picked up a PSX PowerStation Multi Purpose Vehicle Jumpstarter for $65.99 at Costco. Has to be one of the best buys I've made in a while. The battery was completely dead. No clicks. Nothing.

Thankfully I didn't slip and fall as I ran back across Telegraph to my dead Cherokee. Mind you, this is a heavy bugger, as any 1000ah battery should be. Got to thinking it might not be charged up from the factory. Hooked up the battery, tried to turn it over and nothing. Helps to read instructions ... so that's what the large dial was on the back was for that said "ON". Tried it again and presto - cranked right up.

But that's not all. This unit lives up to its Multi-Purpose name:
  • Portable 18aH Sealed Rechargeable Battery with 37"6 awg Jumper Cables
  • 400 Amps - 1000 Peak Amps
  • 260 PSI Air Compressor (with 3 adapters)
  • 12V 1000mA Charger
  • LED Work Light (illuminates work area)
  • Voltmeter
  • Two12-Volt DC Power Cables
  • 120-Volt AC Charger
  • 1 Year Warranty
For all I'm concerned, this unit was worth its weight in gold.