My art director partner, Dennis Outlaw and I created this 2005 Auto Show Brochure when we worked at BBDO Detroit on the Jeep Creative team.
SO UNIQUE, IT DEMANDED A CATEGORY ALL ITS OWN.
When we produced this flyer in 2005, we were tasked to keep the Gladiator out of the truck category - ultimately calling it a "Flexible Utility Truck."Thankfully this last line may hold true:
This authentic statement of Jeep brand heritage is but a glimpse of the direction the brand could go in the near future.No comment on the word "near." The Gladiator Concept Vehicle relied heavily on the Wrangler front grille. An integrated front recovery winch was a nice touch. We'll have to see how closely it lines up with the real thing once it launches later this year.
The new multipurpose exotic Jeep (sort-of pick-truck) 4x4 will most likely be sold internationally as well.Copy from the flyer:
A category all its own - the Jeep® Gladiator concept vehicle is the first "Flexible Utility Truck," a mid-size alternate with a max-size appetite for more. Go ahead, get a second helping. With Gladiator's expandable bed you can stretch from 5'8" to 6'8" to 8'11" in a matter of minutes. You never know when an extra foot of truck-bed space will come in handy. A dent-resistant Durabed Bedliner and multiple tie-down help tether gear should you be trailering an F5 twister.
A trick driver-side rear-seat access hatch allows for easy retrieval of stowed gear. Under the side-mounted spare is a bottle jack stored in a military-style watertight box.
Peel back the canvas top partially, or remove it completely, for a huge sky/moon/star roof. Hauling a 4'x8' drywall in a mid-size? Sure! Gladiator's rear-seat stows away beneath the truck bed, and a slide-down rear glass and lowered tailgate instantly reward the user with over 8'11" of bragging rights.
Key Features of the Jeep Gladiator Concept Vehicle:
- Powerful 2.8L I-4 Turbo Diesel engine (295 lb-ft of torque / 163 hp)
- Heavy-duty 6-speed manual transmission
- Trail Rated® Capability
- Proven Command-Trac® 4x4 system
- Exposed hood latches / door handles
- Armour Green Metallic paint
- Integrated front recovery winch
- Goodyear 265/75R18 (33-inch tall) tires
- 18x8-inch cast-aluminum polished wheels
- Super-tough front / rear solid axles
- Suspension: 4-link front coil and 5-link rear with dual coils (includes separate ride and load coils)
- Bed length - 5'8"
- Midgate forward - 6'8"
- Expanded with tailgate down (min) - 8'11"
- Open fenders / extra-wide rear fenders
- Passenger-side rear door (opens a full 180 degrees)
The strategically placed side-mounted spare tire is all about utility, ultimate use of rear bed space, and uber coolness.Copy: Lee Ekstrom
Art Direction: Dennis Outlaw